Soiree Special Events

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

*go green* Going Local & Organic

Kudos to Jennifer at Earth Friendly Weddings for constantly posting about awesome green wedding ideas. I keep up with her blog on Google Reader (which I love) and wanted to share a specific post with you. When you have a few minutes to spare, check out the video she posted here. It's a lecture by Mark Bittman, a New York Times food critic and now an eco-friendly advocate. Mark reminds us all about our eating habits and how it affects the environment.

In my attempt to buy things slightly more locally, I've made the switch to Whole Foods and am keeping an eye on the foods I buy. I stopped in at the Fair Lakes store the other day and lo and behold, there was Emeril Lagasse! He was filming a new show called Emeril Green to be shown on Discovery's new Planet Green network. Here's a photo I took on-the-sly with my BlackBerry:In doing some more research on locally grown produce and foods, I realized there is a new farmer's market that comes through Reston, Fairfax, and Herndon on a weekly basis. The one on Thursdays is right in our backyard -- we could walk over to the Reston Town Center to fill up on our veggies! I'm really looking forward to checking it out tomorrow.

I'm also experimenting with the idea of joining a farm with a CSA. Community Supported Agriculture is essentially like pre-buying produce from a local farm. You pay a lump sum at the beginning of the season and they bring you fruits and veggies from the farm once a week through the spring, summer, and fall. It seems like a great deal and I'm looking into the one at Great Country Farms. AJ used to do this when she was here in DC. Does anyone else do this? Any advice?

4 Comments:

  • nice

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 18/6/08 11:57 AM  

  • I'm a Great Country Farms member. I love it! I think their shares are closed for the season, but they do have U-pick available.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 18/6/08 12:08 PM  

  • I'm a CSA member! I love it.

    We just got some squash blossoms this morning and I'm soooo excited to go home and cook them up! Yum!

    By Blogger Kate, at 18/6/08 2:13 PM  

  • I just keep visiting this blog from past two years. The posts here are unique and useful than other blog posts. Such a great info provided in this post. Keep providing useful post in this blog. I appreciate author for this valuable post. chocolate institutes in dubai , chocolate institutes dubai

    By Blogger Jamal Mohamed, at 3/10/18 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home